dec 27th, 2007
so which was it? a 'sniper' is usually a marksman shooting from far off (eg the guy who supposedly shot kennedy) with a telescopic sight.
a 'suicide bomber' is someone who walks up to a person and blows themselves and target up (eg the girl who exploded herself along with rajiv gandhi).
it sounds like a) overkill, b) impossible to be a 'sniper' AND 'a suicide bomber'. the first is far off, the second is right next to the victim.
1. there was no sniper, it was just a suicide bomber who had an explosive belt, and maybe a small firearm. in that case, how did this person get through the security cordon/bomb sniffing dogs/metal detectors?
2. there was a sniper, who shot bhutto from far off and also caused the suicide bomber to explode by hitting his explosive belt. it is possible the suicide bomber didn't even know he was carrying an explosive belt.
3. somebody shot bhutto at close range and the suicide bomber exploded too. this is the indira gandhi theory: someone on her own staff did it. and the suicide bomber was a diversionary tactic or plan b
4. the suicide bomber was exploded into small bits so he wouldn't talk later
5. the whole thing is an elaborate charade, and there was no suicide bomber. the security guard or someone at close range shot bhutto, and then created a diversionary explosion.
yes, very curious indeed. clever boys, these ISI. whatever will they think up next?