this is a strange report. several possibilities arise:
1. the prowess of the american armed forces is mostly a fiction created and nurtured by hollywood and films including top gun
2. the americans have such an inflated opinion of themselves and such a poor opinion of india that the fact the indians actually had a pulse surprised the heck out of them
3. the indian pilots are well trained and smart(er)
4. the sukhoi planes are better than the american ones
5. this is a propaganda leak intended to lull indians into a false sense of security. after all, indians are just waiting for some crumbs from whites. this is what 'damning with faint praise' means
i have no idea which of these possibilities is correct, although i am generally sceptical and suspicious.
good to see, though, that the bharat-rakshak folks are getting some airplay.
On 11/30/05, Ram wrote:
THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR
from the November 28, 2005 edition
"Since the cold war, there has been the general assumption that India is a third-world country with Soviet technology, and wherever the Soviet-supported equipment went, it didn't perform well," says Jasjit Singh, a retired air commodore and now director of the Center for Air Power Studies in New Delhi. "That myth has been blown out by the results" of these air exercises.