Wednesday, November 28, 2007

How Hinduism was depicted by the Tour Group lecturer at the British Museum

nov 27th, 2007

this sort of gentle but persistent protest can and will have an impact, although not as much as some mohammedans cutting off some white guy's head (like they did to daniel pearl).

if anyone else reading this blog has had similar experiences, you might want to write to the worthies that R R has written to. i used to like going to the british museum, just to marvel at how much, and with what good taste, the blighters had managed to steal from everywhere while 'civilizing' us barbarians. it's about the only place in britain that i like, given that (s)limeys are such creeps.

thank you, R R (copied). i don't want to reveal your name or email id as a matter of policy on this blog http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com. but you are free to do so or add to this post.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: R R
Date: Nov 25, 2007 2:55 AM
Subject: How Hinduism was depicted by the Tour Group lecturer the British Museum
To: jboyd@thebritishmuseum.ac.uk
Cc: ASIA@thebritishmuseum.ac.uk, information@britishmuseum.org , communications@britishmuseum.org, asia@britishmuseum.org, info@nchtuk.org,

Dear Chairman or Whoever it may concern,

I was unhappy about the inaccurate and blasphemous depiction of the Godess Kali by a Tour Guide when I visited the British Museum last Wedneday.  I made a polite attempt to rebut what I heard, whilst on site but was not given the opportunity to do by the individuals giving the Tour. Everyone was hustled away by the Tour leader and Margaret, the lecturer, excepting a few ladies who were interested.

I noted that the security guard was gestured over as I voiced my opinion, and should I have gotten stroppy, would have no doubt evicted me, taking the focus away from the issue. 

Verbiage of my original email to the Asia group at the museum  is below.   No response has yet been received.

I am amazed at the lack of knowledge put forth by 'Margaret' during my brief visit, which was then lauded by someone who appeared to represent the museum.  In any case, it was a disappointing and disheartening display of defamation and denigration towards a widely worshiped form of the almighty for Hindus.

Far be it from me to comment as a visitor, as such appalling lack of knowledge and denigration of our faith is as prevalent in the US as it apparently is in the UK, but as a Hindu it was as outrageous as someone demeaning the Christ, Prophet Mohammed or Yahweh. 

The galling thing is that because we (Hindus) do not resort to course and vulger displays of outrage, threats and thuggish behavior when our faith is denigrated, we are seen as soft targets and non Hindus feel they can defame and denigrate our faith with impunity.

It is truly disheartening that I would have to hear such tripe when visiting such a prestigious institution as the British Museum.

I am not asking for an apology from these individuals,as based on their reactions to my attempt to set the record straight showed all too clearly they are not interested in the Hindu perspective. An apology from  the individuals in question would be worthless.

What I am respectfully asking is:

1. How could the British Museum vet how Hinduism is represented and depicted.
2. How could members of the Hindu Community, Hindu Council or Temples authorities give input into how our religion and history are depicted at the Museum?

Instead of a negative process as a reaction to my experience, what can the Museum do to ensure that our beliefs and History is depicted accurately and properly?  Does the Museum even care to do so?

At the present time, the information level and standard seems to be that of a B grade hollywood movie or straight from India Jones and the temple of Doom.  

Is this the best the British Museum can offer to non Hindus?

Sincerely Yours

R R


> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I am writing to express disappointment regarding the explanation off Hindu
> Deities given to a Tour Group today by  a lecturer  called 'Margaret'
> during a visit to the British Museum, London.
> I happened to be visiting at the time and was disconcerted,offended   and
> angered by her comments.
>
> I will limit my comments to her description of the the Godesss Kali.
>
> 1. Her tongue is sticking out because she is stoned or drunk
> 2. Her foot is on the Lord Shiva showing his 'helplessness'.
> 3. She is worshiped mostly by the lower castes.
> 4. Followers routinely conduct sacrifices to her in India.
> 5. Hindus put great stock on 'blood' in their beliefs.
>
> I consider her statements on Hinduism to be defamatory and outrageous
> misrepresentations. At the end of her talk, I politely interrupted,
> mentioned that I was Hindu,.and asked to put forward an alternative
> explanation.
>
> I was denied my opportunity to do so to the group in question and the group
> was ushered out by the British Museum representative who thanked this lady
> for the factual nature of the talk in glowing terms.
>
> I am at a loss to understand why a prestigious institution which prides
> itself on historical antiquity and accuracy would allow:
>
> 1. Inaccurate statements about Hindu Deities.
> 2. Defamation of Hindu Beliefs.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> R R
>


Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.

No comments: