Thursday, August 06, 2015

Fwd: The Neuroscience of Meditation, and the Virtues of Shutting Up

good article, but shows how yet another indian idea is being expropriated by others. note the derisive comment about removing the stories of the buddha from the meditation to prisoners.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Capt.


http://www.newsweek.com/2015/08/14/meditation-and-being-quiet-359641.html
 AUGUST 5, 2015 6:18 AM EDT

It was 5:30 in the morning on my third day of silent meditation when I noticed something in me take a sharp turn left.

I was groggy, frustrated by my inability to sit still and hungry for the breakfast that was still an hour off. I got up from the spot on the floor of my bedroom where I'd been attempting to meditate and walked outside, to the new-growth woods behind the residential quarters at the Vipassana Meditation Center in Shelburne, Massachusetts. It was springtime, and the outdoors seemed spring-loaded with potential: The buds on the trees were sharp little things, and hundreds of fuzzy fiddleheads dotted the forest floor, curled snug.

... deleted

No comments: