---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sanjeev Nayyar
14. Art Gallery Thanjavur – amazing collection of bronze statues of Nataraja. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Art-Gallery-Thanjavur.aspx
From: Sanjeev Nayyar
Friends do share these links with friends worldwide so they too know about the beauty of Tamil Nadu. A lot of the credit for the captions goes to my Tamilian friends who are helping with details.
3. Emerald Nataraja Temple 83 kms before Rameshwaram – "The presiding deity is a Swayambulinga from the Ilandhai tree here. The Emerald Nataraja Idol in the temple is the rare one not to be seen in any other temple. Uthira Kosa Mangai is a tiny hamlet, famous for the Siva temple considered to be 3000 years old. This is the place where Siva transferred the secrets of Vedas to Parvati. Uthiram means ( updesham ) kosam( secrets) Parvati (Mangai ) hence this place is known as Uthira Kosa Mangai." http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Emerald-Nataraja-Temple.aspx
42. Navagraha Temples – includes each of the nine temples.
40. Guide to visiting temples from Kumbakonam – lists down all temples with distances. In PDF format all in one sheet. http://www.esamskriti.com/essay-chapters/Guide-to-visiting-Navagraha-Temples-from-Kumbakonam-1.aspx
39. Thiyagaraja Temple Tiruvarur – amongst the most amazing temples I visited in Tamil Nadu. The temple "is one of the ancient heritage sites of India and is a representation of the religio-socio-cultural history of the Tamil region for a period spanning over a millennium and a half." http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Thiyagaraja-Temple-Tiruvarur.aspx
38. Marriage Temple Thirumanancheri – 45 kms from Nagapattinam and close to Kumbakonam. Met a couple of software professionals who prayed for a right partner, both boys and girls. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Marriage-Temple-Thirumanancheri.aspx
37. Vedaranyam Shiv temple. "The Manikarnigai Theertham (tank) that you see is considered to be very sacred because it is believed that a holy bath in this well is equivalent to taking bath in the sacred rivers of Ganges, Yamuna, Narmada, Cauvery." http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Vedaranyam-temple.aspx
35. Mahalinga Swamy Mandir, Thiruvidaimarudur, 10 kms from Kumbakonam, is a powerful Shiv temple. It is a Mahalinga sthala (Big Linga shrine). http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Mahalinga-Swamy-Temple.aspx
34. Bronze making Swamimalai – has brief notes on how bronze idols made and phone number of two artisans in case you want to buy. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Bronze-Making-Swamimalai.aspx
33. Tirunelveli Temple It is a twin temple dedicated to Parvati and Shiva. Very famous for its Halwa. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Tirunelveli-Temple.aspx
32. Swamimalai Murugan Temple - It is called Swaminathaswamy Temple, Swamimalai. Temple 8 kms from Kumbakonam. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Swamimalai-Temple.aspx
31. Srivilliputhur Temple – it one of the most important Divyadesams. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Srivilliputhur-Temple.aspx
30. Sankarankovil Temple – it is a Shiv mandir. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Sankarankovil-Temple.aspx
29. Murugan Temple Madurai is one of the 6 holy shrines of Muruga. It is carved out of rock. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Murugan-Temple-Madurai.aspx
28. Kasi Vishwanathar Mandir, Tenkazi – it is made for devotees who cannot go to Varanasi, temple made 1455, amazing statues and gopuram. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Kasi-Viswanathar-Temple-Tenkasi.aspx
27. Sri Ramakrishna Math School Madurai – Established 30 odd years ago, school isfor kids from Pre Kg to the 5th. About 60% of the 520 odd students come from very poor backgrounds. Math also run Free Coaching classes in evening for 250 odd students (from government schools), provide scholarships to 50 odd students (who study in school and outside colleges), run a Free Dispensary. Math runs entirely on donations. If you like to support, caption have how to remit details or mail me.
26. Palaces of Chettinad – this album has Chettinad Palace of M.A.M. Ramaswamy and other mansions in Kanadukathan village.
25. Muruga Temple PALANI –went to Thai Poosam so got to see celebrations and lots of local devotees. Very powerful place. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Murugan-Temple-Palani.aspx
24. Nayak Palace Madurai – famous for its arches and stuccowork. Super. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Nayak-Palace-Madurai.aspx
23. Darasuram Temple UNESCO site Kumbakonam http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Darasuram-Temple-Kumbakonam.aspx
22. Video Thai Poosam celebrations at village in Tamil Nadu https://www.facebook.com/eSamskriti/videos
21. Tranquebar is a Dutch colony some 5 sq kms on the beach, some best known today for a heritage hotel 'Bungalow on the Beach'. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Tranquebar.aspx
20. Ganesha Mandir Pondicherry is unique because it has images of Ganesha as found in S.E.Asian countries and India. Very popular with devotees. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Ganesha-Temple-Pondicherry.aspx
19. Murugan Temple Thiruchendur is dedicated to Murugan. It is on the sea side, an amazing place spiritually powerful. Loved it. It is 171 kms from Madurai. Worth a visit. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Murugan-Temple-Thiruchendur.aspx
18. Matrimandir Auroville Pondicherry is the place to go and meditate. Unique nothing like this anywhere in the world. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Matrimandir-Auroville.aspx
17. Kanchi Kailasanathar Temple – is a wow 7th century temple, no words to describe the sculptures. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Kanchi-Kailasanathar-Temple.aspx
16. The Bangala Hotel and MSMM Mansion in Karaikudi Chettinad – mansions of Chettinad belong to a different world. This is the first of the 3 albums on mansions. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/The-Bangala-Chettinad.aspx
15. Symbols of Ramayana around Rameshwaram – there are so many places associated with the Ramayana around Rameshwaram. Met devotees from Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Nepal etc. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Ramayana-around-Rameshwaram.aspx
13. Rock Cut Fort Temple Trichy – the one of its kind. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Rock-Fort-Temple-Trichy.aspx
12. Sri Ramana Maharsri Ashram at Arunachala – an oasis of peace and positive energy. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Ramana-Maharishi-Ashram.aspx
11. Gangaikondacholapuram Temple – the town was the capital of the Cholas from about 1025 a.d. Temple is modelled on the Big Temple at Thanjavur. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Gangaikondacholapuram-Temple.aspx
10. Maratha Palace Thanjavur – The Marathas ruled Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu from 1674 to 1855. Pics of Maratha Durbar and Art Gallery. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Maratha-Palace-Thanjavur.aspx
9. Dhanuskodi Island and Pamban Bridge Rameshwaram – the island is 18kms from Rameshwaram. According to tradition Shri Ram left for Lanka from the tip of this island. Pamban has a rail and road bridge, amazing work and view of water/ beaches. Former made in 1904 and latter in 1988. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Dhanushkodi-Island-Rameshwaram.aspx
8. Rameshwaram Temple – wow is the only word. Very powerful place, the whole area has only good and positive vibrations. We present pics of main Gopuram early morning, 9 am and post sun-set.
7. Shore Temple Mahabalipuram http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Shore-Temple-Mahabalipuram.aspx#
6. Sea Shell Museum Mahabalipuram http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Sea-Shell-Museum-Mahabalipuram.aspx
5. Ramakrishna Mission Students Home Chennai – In Mylapore, they run a Polytechnic, Students High School (6-10), a Residential school and Primary school. Students are orphans or from rural areas. All services provided for free. It is a very eco-friendly school – use solar power and gas plant too. If you like to support school lunch for 700 students cost Rs 9,800/, High School student education & stay Rs 20,000 and ditto for Polytechnic College Rs 28k.
4. Vivekananda Illam or House, Marina Beach Chennai – original pictures of Swamiji's life journey. He lived here from Feb 6th-15th 1897. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Vivekananda-House-Chennai.aspx
3. In 1677 Shivaji Maharaj visited the Sri Kalikambal Mandir in Chennai. It is at Parry's Corner, a 10 minute walk from the main road. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Shivaji-Temple-Chennai.aspx
2. 5 Rathas Mahabalipuram – we present Mahabalipuram in 2 parts since too many pictures. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/5-Rathas-Mahabalipuram.aspx
1. Thiruvidanthai Divya Desam enroute to Mahabalipuram. Those who do not get married visit this temple, including my taxi driver. He is now married. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Thiruvidanthai-Divya-Desam.aspx
Tamil Nadu is beautiful and people lovely. Ate idli, dosa, rice meals for 19 days and loved the food. Stomach was ok all through. Water is clean and hygiene levels at roadside and big rest high.
Eating in banana leaves is clean and eco-friendly. Rest of India should emulate.
My Pranams to all those who made and maintain the wonderful temples of tamil nadu.
Love and Light
sent from samsung galaxy note3 neo, so please excuse brevity