---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sanjeev nayyar
From: sanjeev nayyar
cultivating vietnam as india's pakistan aiming at china's soft underbelly? sounds good to me.
1. Vietnam visit by Indian President strategically significant by dr subhash kapila 15/9/14 http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/node/1613
'Vietnam's long outstanding requests to India for sale of the Brahmos Missile need to be honoured and other missiles too. If China could assist Pakistan with nuclear weapons build-up and a wide variety of ballistic missiles with strike reach to the Indian heartland, what holds back India to assist Vietnam?
2. China and Modi's relationship building with Japan by col r hariharan 15/9/14 http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/node/1614
'Such comments in the op-ed showed China's difficulty in coming to terms with Modi's readiness to improve India's relations with China to do business while showing equal keenness to improve strategic cooperation with Japan. One of the key objectives of President Xi's talks with Modi will be to wean away India from the lure of Japan. So it is not surprising Beijing is holding out a carrot of $ 100 billion Chinese investment in India. And the huge delegation of leading lights of Chinese business and five major banks accompanying the Chinese President underscores President Xi's serious efforts to win over Modi.[v][v] But the reported Chinese troops' intrusion into Indian territory in Ladakh (in Demchok sector) on September 11, even in the midst of all media hype on Xi's visit, exposes the soft underbelly of India-China relations. And this is where Japan has an edge over China in dealing with India.'
3. China's Finger Problem – Will President Xi cure by lt gen prakash katoch 15/9/14 http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/chinas-finger-problem-will-president-xi-cure/
'From the above it can be seen that Indian territories were once right up to the Hindukush Mountains, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bangladesh, parts of Burma, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Portions of Tibet too were annexed by India. Not many would be aware of the captured Chinese flag brought by Maharaja Ranjit Singh that adorns the officer's mess of an infantry battalion of the Indian Army. Then, Indian troops of British India were posted at Yatung. The Chinese may need to read up on India's history and whether going by Chinese standards, India should start claiming all these territories?
But in the case of Tibet and India, China's stratagem is based on Mao Zhedong's statement endorsed by Deng Xiaoping, in saying, "Tibet is the palm of China and Ladakh, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan and NEFA are its fingers".
Logically, if China wants India to sign on the dotted line of 'One China' policy, it should do likewise accepting 'One India' including 'recognizing the accession of the State of J&K to India on 26 October 1947'. Sure that would make Chinese occupation of the Shaksgam Valley and Aksai Chin illegal but that can be negotiated between the special representatives of both countries charged with negotiating the border.'
4. Xi's on Modi's turf: a Strategic perspective by col danvir singh 15/9/14 http://www.indiandefencereview.com/xi-jinping-visit-a-strategic-perspective/
'But a word of caution, don't prick the dragon so soon. The defence apparatus of our country needs to be strengthened many folds before any such display of confidence'.
5. India Vietnam ink seven agreements 15/9/14 http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/india-vietnam-ink-seven-agreements/article6412345.ece?homepage=true
My take – China will settle the boundary dispute from a position of strength when it can dictate. India will have to build economic and military strength – it has little time.
6. India should not get strangled by China's bear bug by kanwal sibal 16/9/14 http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/NjBZflKVZRfcFHehSQ3EiM/India-should-not-get-strangled-by-Chinas-bear-hug.html.
'Modi's challenge would be to clasp China's extended hand to the extent it serves India's purpose.'
7. The NDA govt has given a big impetus to bridging the infrastructure and connectivity deficit in North-East to both mainland India and to South-East Asia. 16/9/14. Table has useful data http://www.livemint.com/Politics/jYkigBltcZDkfh6uLZrAwJ/The-Yin-and-the-Yang.html
8. CCEA clears Rs 4758 crs power transmission lines in Arunachal and Sikkim. 16/9/14 http://www.livemint.com/Politics/vq8JVQ9hgvFi1iyPslg6QN/CCEA-clears-power-transmission-projects-in-Arunachal-Pradesh.html
9. Kashmir floods: Army gains where media fails 16/9/14 http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/ajai-shukla-kashmir-floods-army-gains-where-media-fails-114091501335_1.html
My take – there was no need for the media to rub it in the Kashmiris of the Valley that the Army whom they maligned saved them. Sometimes Silence pays.
10. India Vietnam expand effective partnership 16/9/14 http://english.vov.vn/Politics/India-Vietnam-expand-effective-partnership/281288.vov
'Pres Sang affirmed that Vietnam is a key pillar in India's 'Look East' policy, as well as in its relations with ASEAN, and India wants to broaden this strategic partnership with Vietnam. Presidents Sang and Mukherjee noted with satisfaction the effective cooperation in national defence and security between the two countries in recent times, saying this is a key pillar in bilateral strategic partnership. They said the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Indian provision of US$100 million in credit loans for Vietnam's defence sector will open up new opportunities for bilateral cooperation in the area.'
11. Pics of Hiuen Tsang memorial in Nalanda Bihar by sanjeev nayyar. Does China have a memorial for Dr Kotnis or to India for her cultural contribution to China. http://www.esamskriti.com/photo-detail/Hiuen-Tsang-Memorial.aspx
12. Chinese targetted by Phillipine nationalism editorial global times 16/9/14 http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/881623.shtml. 'A Chinese citizen sustained life-threatening injuries after being shot in Meycauayan in Bulacan Province of the Philippines on Saturday. He is the third Chinese citizen to be targeted in the Philippines in the space of five days after two Chinese nationals were abducted on September 8 and 11.
My take – Chinese learning from the Muslims, first attack be aggressive, when other party says something then play victim card.
13. SC asks Centre, State Govt to focus on areas other than Srinagar 16/9/14 http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/sc-asks-centre-jk-focus-districts-srinagar/
My take – the SC is supposed to interpret law, not give instructions to the Govt on what it should do. SC should focus on clearing backlog of cases in the SC and reducing corruption in the Judiciary.
14. The continuity in Japan's India policy is desirable by ashok desai 16/9/14 http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140916/jsp/opinion/story_18840110.jsp
To unsubscribe write back
To unsubscribe write back
sent from samsung galaxy note, so please excuse brevity