Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Aftermath 2

I was returning late night from a friends home after having a can of beer while watching some football (its better than watching the Indian news channels).  On the way home, I saw some police checkpost set up, at a junction.  Now, I appreciate the extra checking after the Mumbai terror attacks.  I was feeling happy that I can see some change.  But wait, its all a sham, its already back to normal.  I was asked for my driving license.  Good.  Now I was asked where I was going, and where I am coming from. Good again.

After that, I was asked if I was drunk.  Yes, I had a can of beer at my friend's place.  Then I was asked if I knew that its illegal to drink and drive.  I said yes, I know, but I just had a can of beer and it is under permissible limit.  They asked me to pay up Rs 2000 as fine (or bribe, whatever).  I told them that I had drunk under permissible limit as per law, and they can check using breath analyzer.  Now things went bad.  I was threatened with jail, "hamko sikhata hai", etc.  It was a dark night and nobody else was around. I did pay up some amount after negotiations.

The thing that strikes me is this - The police, even after such ugly terrorist attacks, is more interested in collecting bribes.  They will never learn, will they?  Well, I guess they just wanted some extra income.  But why the softness towards terrorists?  I have seen policemen (even inspectors and sub-inspectors) who are afraid of muslims, and they are easily intimidated by muslims in areas like railway stations.  But policemen are just too eager and pumped up when its a common educated middle class Hindu Indian who is the target.  Obviously, they cant come down to the level of a common street thug or a muslim.  (More elaboration on this in the next post)

Note that I understand that its against the law to drink and drive.  I have the right to drink but I do not have the right to hurt someone on the roads, or even risk doing so.  But its wrong to use the law (or incorrect implementation of law, etc blah ) to harass citizens even though no law has been broken.

Permissible limit to drive after drinking - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2438054.cms

I am pretty sure that the quantity consumed by me that day was very well under permissible limit, even by Indian standards.  A can of mild beer has less alcohol content than three teaspoons of cough syrup.

Another irony struck me yesterday - Do the Tatas realize it?  That the basic cause of the attack on their hotel are the policies of JRD Tata's "friend" - Jokerlal Nehru.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if the term "news" channel is appropriate, they are more of "propaganda" channles.

R.Sajan said...

1. Were the policemen Hindus?

2. The top cops are all well-paid by the Mafia and through them, by the terror-groups?

3. The Moslem terrorist would not drive drunk. A drunken driver can only be a non-Moslem. So, it is easier to bully him.

4. Why did you not tell them that your Boss is Dawood Ibrahim? They would have let you go.

san said...

Dude, it's better not to admit to any alcohol consumption, etc under those circumstances. Just say that you haven't consumed anything, just some punch. If they give you a breathalyzer and find something under the limit, say that the punch may have had something that you weren't aware of. Don't admit fault to these people and rely upon their good sense to sort it out.

indian_indian said...

In this respect, we middle-class, educated, "shareef" Hindus need to learn from the Jewish people. The Jewish people fight back hard -- even if they are part of the educated middle class that has more to lose than the average Muslim thug. As an example, my friend who is a Hindu physician practicing in the US told me about an incident that happened when he was doing his medical residency. It seems that an Egyptian medical resident started engaging a Jewish-American resident about Palestine, Egypt and the situation in the Middle East. The Jew got fed up after a while, became angry, and ended the conversation with "we (Israel) will invade Egypt again and destroy everything" -- do what you must". The Egyptian had no answer! Another incident involved a Jewish cardiologist treating a Muslim patient who had just suffered a heart attack! The cardiologist openly questioned the Muslim when he called himself "Palestinian" saying that there was NO SUCH COUNTRY! And these are highly educated physician Jews we are talking about! Just think how much more aggressive the Jewish blue-collar worker must be! Hindus need to model themselves after the Jewish people in terms of pride of thought and action.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your experience, darkstorm. It is humiliating to have those experiences. Thanks for posting it here. Appreciate your observation on treatment that hindu middle class gets, often abetted by the news papers.

If you had blog-pass, like journalist-pass, then the police will treat you better than hindus. They know who has the power.

BTW, beer is anyway intoxicating, I mean there is a valid question here at a personal level.

DarkStorm said...

A,

True.

R.Sajan,

Yeah, they seemed to be Hindus..

San,

Isnt that easy, beer has a distinct smell. You can say fruit juice if you had vodka with lime or orange :-) but it isnt easy with beer.

The amazing thing is that they did not have any breath analyzer !!!

indian_indian,

True. Sadly, we have too many dhimmis amongst us.

karyakarta92 said...

Well, we need to be more assertive, aggressive even. In India, it is only the law abiding Hindu taxpayers who get no respect whereas the lawless Mohammedan thugs get deferential treatment. Therefore, one needs to be prepared to get their hands dirty. Recently, my 70 year old father had a minor traffic incident with some Mohammedan. The brute was at fault - and arrogantly stated "I am a Muslim" threateningly. These butchers only understand a display of Steel. This applies to the anal Babus and Havaldars equally. Hemant Kurkure is the perfect example - all masculine when torturing a poor unarmed Sadhvi, but the
Scoundrel literally shat in his pants when confronted with real terrorists, eliminated in no time. Contrast that with the operation by Army commandos. The armed forces are probably the only institution that is not intimidated by Semitic bullies

Sameer said...

Sad to know your economic loss and good thing that you shared with us...
True, these police fellows will never learn.. their standards remain low to the british days when the police laws were formed...