Thursday, February 04, 2010

on Toyota's troubles .....

I have always been a big fan of Japanese culture and technology. when Japan had it's corporate problems - I remember the tearful, deeply contrite Japanese bankers begging the public for forgiveness. contrast that with the big bonus vermin running yankee investment banks.

yes - the effect in both cases is the same. the big shots got away with a lot in Japan and America. but you have to love the optics of a big shot debasing himself - in carefully choreographed theater. how the Japanese are obsessed with appearing to do right! I wonder when Toyota execs will start to have the shame parade.

It is sad to see Toyota hit this quality issue. the manufacturer who made the offending part was American / Canadian. also toyota's troubles seem to be in the US, Europe (who will do whatever the yanks tell them), China (who will create trouble where there is none) - but not in Japan itself. it is interesting this comes a year after the US govt bought out the big guns in Detroit. is it a co-incidence? inquiring minds want to know.

3 comments:

AGworld said...

This is very sad -- I hope Toyota bounces back soon.

I am a huge Lean devotee, having been to their plants in japan on learning trips.

They blow my mind.

Pagan said...

As for me, I am cheering the fact that Ford is gaining market share and coming up with winners. I have lived in the US long enough to develop gratitude for this country and a liking for the people, next only to India and Indians. I understand that the Japanese brand of Capitalism is more exploitative and lacking a human side. Their government, instead of encouraging small entrepreneurs, always relied on mega corporations with the result that middle class there hasn't prospered like in the US.

Talking of gratitude, RoP doesn't seem teach any.

Pagan said...

Toyota is on the verge of "capitulation to irrelevance or death".