Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Islamic debates: Is there anything to debate?

dec 6th, 2006

iranian woman on the lack of a need to debate.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shahryar

 
Islamic debates: Is there anything to debate?
A few days ago a gentleman from examinethetruth.com called me and asked if I would be ready to debate him. He told me that they had debated Ali Sina of Faith Freedom Foundation and other hostile people toward Islam and they would like to debate me, at Dr. Homa Darabi Foundation also. At first I agreed. I received an email from Nadir Ahmed thanking me for accepting his challenge. Then in a second email he asked me to debate them on Islam and terrorism. I declined the subject since there is really no debate on this subject. Almost all terrorist acts in recent years have been committed by Muslims I could not see what would be achieved by me debating examine the truth group on this subject. In addition this is not what our organization and myself are involved with. Our mission is to oppose all violations of human rights, focusing on defending the rights of women against religious, social and cultural abuse.
 
... delete

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

Speaking of Islamic militancy, let us remember the late Anwar Shaikh:

http://tinyurl.com/y3hrmz

http://www.hvk.org/articles/0805/82.html


(These links supplied by a friend.)

Ghost Writer said...

Rajeev,
While I will wait for you to respond to Srikanth; here is a must-read article by Arif Mohd. Khan -why can't more Muslims be like him? This is on the Khachchar Commission (that is not a typo. I use that word advisedly. In my mother tongue Punjabi - a cross between a donkey and a mule is called a Khachchar)
http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=159&page=6
A passage from report is quoted below

"Now envisage a scenario where notwithstanding the constitutional bar against reservation on the basis of religion, Muslims are recognised as backward and benefit of reservation is extended to them as one unit. This will mean inclusion of creamy layer which in the first instance will go against the direction of Supreme Court and then will make things even more difficult for really depressed sections of Muslims to compete against the Muslim creamy layer when today they find it hard to secure a fair share for themselves while competing against the depressed sections of other religious denominations."