Monday, February 27, 2012

Pay My Salary or I Won’t Fly

One air-hostess laments:
Mid-last year things began to change. We were now staying in three star hotels instead of the usual five star. Soon we were put up in guest houses. Our salaries were getting delayed, initially by a month or so. Then we went without salaries for months together. I have not been paid from December 2011. Initially, it was easy to manage. I dipped into my savings to pay the rent and for other expenses. Last month, I broke my fixed deposit.
I guess we worry only if a pretty, English medium schooled girl has to cope with such difficulties. There are millions who share similar plight. It is common in South India for local businesses to hire more guys and girls than they need. My guess is, it is purely out of compassion. For them it is not all business, it is not all greed. That brings me to a totally different point -- will these businesses be able to continue this if they have to compete with a Walmart?

No comments: