Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Sunday, January 29, 2023
I'd been reading and hearing how Victoria Nuland will soon be meeting with Modi govt on getting India to stop buying oil and military hardware from Russia. "Fat chance of that happening," I thought.
But Victoria Nuland is known to be very predatory and full of dirty tricks. After all, she did show up in Kyiv in 2014 to overthrow the elected govt there and replace it with an anti-Russian one.
So now suddenly we're seeing this attack from Wall Street on Adani group, which threatens to send its stock price tumbling down. And of course Adani are close to Modi. And of course, the usual reliable "fans" NYT, WaPo, etc are also loudly crowing about what's happening.
I'm not trying to be a die-hard shill for Modi or Adani, but I can't help but wonder about the coincidence of timing here. Putting Adani group on the ropes would be a useful way to grab Modi by his short-&-curly hairs, to create a pressure-point on the current Indian govt and its foreign policy. Let's not forget how ISRO was attacked through the Devas International scam route.
I feel proud when Jaishankar firmly defends India's basic interests to foreign critics. But sometimes it's easy to forget that we're punching above our weight, when it comes to superpower confrontations and a renewed Cold War. I'm worried that we're very vulnerable to getting sucker-punched in unexpected ways. I'd also like to know more about Hindenberg, Bill Ackman, Nate Anderson, etc. Maybe the swamp they operate in is too murky to trace back to Nuland or NeoCons, but it's nevertheless worth looking into.
Friday, January 27, 2023
Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Saturday, January 21, 2023
Minority status for Hindus: Delhi was the only govt that openly backed granting minority status to Hindus in any form at the state or UT level.
Delhi said, "The central govt may declare the 'migrated minority status to the followers of Hinduism who are the religious minority in their origin state (i.e. J&K, Laddakh etc) and residing in Delhi after migration from their home state." . . . . . . Why are BJP states opposing this?
- U.S. vs. China: The race to develop the most advanced chips. After working for years to catch up on U.S. technology, China has developed a chip that can rival Nvidia’s powerful A100.
12 Countries That Produce the Best Engineers in the World:
8. South Korea
7. The Netherlands
4. United Kingdom
1. United States
China has quickly emerged as one of the best producers of some of the top engineers in the world. It spent 2.40% of its huge GDP in 2020 for the purposes of R&D. Its Chinese Academy of Sciences and Tsinghua University are two of the top go-to universities in terms of quality engineering education.
- Industrial espionage: How China sneaks out America's technology secrets
- TSMC Might Cut 3nm Prices to Lure AMD, Nvidia: N3 is an expensive technology to use. N3 extensively uses extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography for up to 25 layers and each EUV scanner now costs $150 million - $200 million, depending on configuration. Increased costs mean lower profits for companies such as AMD, Broadcom, MediaTek, Nvidia, and Qualcomm. . . . TSMC's 3nm Journey: Slow Ramp, Huge Investments, Big Future
- India joins lithium hunt: Not only Argentina, India is also eyeing lithium reserves in Chile and Bolivia. The Andean Plains straddling Argentina, Chile and Bolivia – collectively called ‘Lithium Triangle’ – have about 56 per cent of the world’s total identified reserve of Lithium.
- Dr. Jason Fung: Author of The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery.
- Why is alcohol so harmful? The main way alcohol causes health problems is by damaging DNA. When you drink alcohol, your body metabolizes it into acetaldehyde, a chemical that is toxic to cells. Acetaldehyde both “damages your DNA and prevents your body from repairing the damage. Once your DNA is damaged, then a cell can grow out of control and create a cancer tumor.”
Even a little alcohol can harm your health, research shows. Alcohol also creates oxidative stress, another form of DNA damage that can be particularly harmful to the cells that line blood vessels. Oxidative stress can lead to stiffened arteries, resulting in higher blood pressure and coronary artery disease. “It fundamentally affects DNA, and that’s why it affects so many organ systems.”
Nepo (nepotism) babies: Those who use their parents' wealth and popularity to build their own careers. "I don't know anybody who becomes anything if they're just handed money".
Warren Buffett wrote in 2021 that "after much observation of super-wealthy families, here's my recommendation: Leave the children enough so that they can do anything but not enough that they can do nothing".